Thursday, March 1, 2018

DUST DEVELOPS




























Greetings from Joshua Tree. My pals K&M have three nights in a B&B, so I moseyed over here from Palm Springs for a night or two.

Mom seems to be doing quite well without me. Her Senior Center friends are calling her, picking her up, and keeping her involved. I made her a quiche and left her with food to last her a bit. I was a bit reluctant to leave in some ways, never really knowing what her state will be, but I think once she gets used to it, it is good for her.

I haven't been sleeping very well, so I am glad to be sitting back on a bed, being by myself for awhile, chillaxin' as they say. I can look at my thrift store purchases for the day. I bought more books than I need, as I need no more, but I kept the tchotchke and furniture purchases at null. I hope my plants are doing okay without water.

Back in the Springs, of Santa Fe style. Thought of this song this morning, When I Get It Right, only because the coffee came together.

Cousin Dan is on his way for a cousin fest, so I suppose I should do some house cleaning or something.

































Cousin fest is over and there is little on the "event horizon" for a bit.  (Just FYI, this is a misuse of the phrase, but I liked it.) Perhaps I can make some progress with those many things I need to do.

Feeling sad again today, although I know that I mentioned that to a friend earlier this week. Today it is more pervasive ... or it is pernicious? Pernicious sadness? Now I want to figure out a scale or spectrum that grades from before pervasive to after pernicious. Which I think is dying of grief. I will bet in some languages there is a word for dying of grief, but I can't quite figure out how to search for it.

Anyway, sadness is unlikely to be the cause of my demise at this moment, anyway. There was some good news on the Mom lung front. Although the report was not easy to decipher nor was much if any help offered when I called the nurse, she is apparently okay. Relief and applause. I had rather assumed this when the inhaler helped her cough go away, but I neither wanted to jump the gun nor jinx it. So, we count this as a blessing.
























Even though Janet has sorely tested my patience these last days. We took a drive with Cousin Dan, up to Angeles Crest Highway and down Big Tujunga Canyon into that area. Being in the car with her for  that many hours did not bring out the best in our relating. Rather not belabor it for the nonce, but move along.

Dast I go for a third double espresso? I think so. After a week of being off of my health and non-drinking regime, it is time to settle back into the better regime. But coffee is okay.

POLISH AND BALM

Dust develops
from inside
as well as
on top when
objects stop
being used.
No unguent
can soothe
the chap of
abandonment.
Who knew
the polish
and balm in
a person's
simple passage
among her things.
We knew she
loved them
but not what
love means.

— Kay Ryan, The Best of It: New and Selected Poems, New York, Grove Press, 2010







No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...