Sunday, June 1, 2014

CONSTANT VIGILANCE AND APPREHENSION



The inferno of the living is not something that will be; if there is one, it is what is already here, the inferno where we live every day, that we form by being together. There are two ways to escape suffering it. The first is easy for many: accept the inferno and become such a part of it that you can no longer see it. The second is risky and demands constant vigilance and apprehension: seek and learn to recognize who and what, in the midst of inferno, are not inferno, then make them endure, give them space.



— Italo Calvino


Now, there's some fun to end your weekend or cheer you on a Monday. I really shouldn't be writing or thinking about the people inferno as I have 40 pages of Proust to read tonight, and it's already 11:43. Listening to Elvis Costello singing Joni Mitchell's Edith and The Kingpin. Good late night music. 

I've been listening to a lot of music today. I have a new, unfortunate addiction, in the form of a new game of Solitaire and I spent far too much time today just spacing out, listening to music, and playing solitaire. Eventually, and I do mean eventually, I got dressed, did some laundry, and then went to work on the refinishing projects. Getting that paint off of the oak chair is such a mess. It gets caked and smudges and ugh. I'm getting close to the next phase of that, sanding I think. Hopefully, JV will have some time to coach me.

Tomorrow, the contract is signed for the house. Still not sure when I'll have to get out. I bought some herb plants at the Farmer's Market yesterday, as I mentioned. Guess I will try to buy a box of some sort so that I can take them ... somewhere ... 

We've moved on to Toots and the Maytals, Monkey Man. I don't recommend watching the video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I SHOULD DO THE SAME

17 of 100 May 24th It is hard to make plans to have fun when you would rather disappear into the earth. The depression continues, yet I am s...