Sunday, June 5, 2011

DEATH WILL LEAVE YOU STANDIN' AND CRYIN'

I admit it. I am stoned into silence by shock. There are so many disparate thoughts and emotions roiling beneath my stunned heart.

Without a doubt, this is a "there but the grace of ..." moment. KarHu (as opposed to KatHu) had called me a couple of times in the past week, but I was too deep in my own tsuris to answer until this evening. KarHu sounded strangely wooden and I asked if she were angry with for me for not responding sooner. After a moment, she told me that a friend had jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge a week ago.

BSB was another aging single woman who had struggled with depression for many, many years. In the last couple of years, she had lost a job she loved to a younger, non-compassionate, ambitious younger boss. BSB had been a book rep for Chronicle Books and she loved her job enough that I saw her working while we were browsing at a Barnes and Noble while waiting for a movie. Although it took a few years for her to succumb, BSB never really recovered from that loss. That was not her reason for choice, but she just didn't ever seem happy again.


Tonight would be a good night for some single malt. I had to make do with butter and a baguette. And a listen to Mozart's Requiem. I keep thinking of the blues song, "Another Man Done Gone."

Death Don't Have No Mercy in this land. But I do think Barbara Sue feels better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANOTHER ONE CHOCK FULL OF FUN

 14 May Isn’t there something delightful about the word “jelly”? I am not even that much of a fan but it is so fun and tasty! I am indulging...