Tuesday, December 4, 2012

TENDERNESS IS ALWAYS AFLOAT

I am back to music, just in case anyone is wondering. For those few of you who might not know, I have been making music mixes for about thirty years and have made hundreds, all documented in perfect OCD style. I made a mixtape of all the versions I could find of My Funny Valentine. You ready to hear that song for 45 minutes? I love it, and many others did too, so I made a Volume 2. I do not have current access to my CD collection so I am relying on my iTunes, only 23, 667 songs. For years I belonged to a mixers collective and got turned on to amazing stuff, of which I have not listened to all of it. Mixing is probably my finest unmarketable skill (or maybe petting cats?). I will sit still in a chair, not eat or anything else, for upwards of 10 hours when I am on the music hunt.

I say this to explain why I am so sleepy now ("No, the bourbon has nothing to do with it!") as I staid up way past my bedtime to complete a mix for my old friend Terry. Right now, I am making a mix of my favorite Richard Thompson cuts. But wait! I have 769 RT songs which will take me 2.5 days to listen through. Right now I am going through the 16 versions of 1952 Vincent Black Lightning (and the official release from Rumor and Sigh is not among them). A May 1993 version from Bloomington, Indiana with Danny Thompson is current front runner. The song was new then.

At any rate, I am a bit other focussed, though I should not be. I did manage to tear away from the computer to make Garden Vegetable Soup and Golden Potato-Cauliflower Soup as well as carmelizing onions and some brown rice, too. (We are working through all the vegetables we didn't use at Thanksgiving.) Tomorrow, I will be roasting brussels sprouts (balsamic, olive oil, garlic) and possibly doing something with some kale. But then I am headed down to Brooklyn again after dinner for three nights.

This by way of saying I am not thinking much. Nor am I doing much. Although it was a balmy 64 degrees today, I did not so much as open the front door. I haven't been out of the house since Sunday. I guess that happens when you hang out in the cold climes.

Maybe this return to music mixing is a good thing and perhaps I will return to reading and posting poetry again.

I have been meaning to share this little email from Iris for a couple of weeks:




Nice blog, amazing photos, as usual.  Good to have talked to you yesterday on my sloooow way to BAM.  The performance (Donka: A Love Letter to Chekhov) was…amazing…brilliant…extraordinary in every way.  A love letter to Chekhov conceived with sharp sensitivity and profound intelligence. What I learned from it, which I realized I had already learned from Chekhov: We are, from birth to death, inmates in one asylum or another.  But tenderness is always afloat. (November 15, 2012).





2 comments:

  1. I am soo excited about this. Love RT as you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a ridiculous amount of CDs I've put together of various mixes, for my car, but lately sometimes I prefer just listening to the 18+ days of itunes I have in my "library"...on "shuffle". I love the random surprises (bluegrass to Bach to gypsy to rock to celtic to African to...)

    ReplyDelete

ANOTHER ONE CHOCK FULL OF FUN

 14 May Isn’t there something delightful about the word “jelly”? I am not even that much of a fan but it is so fun and tasty! I am indulging...